Re: Zire 72s digitizer

  • Subject: Re: Zire 72s digitizer
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:55:58 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
__/ [Ralph M. Hergert Jr.] on Monday 21 November 2005 20:20 \__

> On 21 Nov 2005 11:25:04 -0800, paul.novotny@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>

>>Ralph M. Hergert Jr. wrote:
>>> I've had my Zire 72s for more than two years -- it's a great machine.
>>> But now:  the digitizer seems to be wacked out.  Way too often, when I
>>> am writing on the alpha side, I'll get a string of periods (some other
>>> character)  instead of what I'm writing.
>>>
>>> Does this sound familiar to anyone?  Will Palm pay attention to this
>>> concern?  Is there a way to replace the digitizer (that isn't more
>>> expensive or annoying) other than buying a new one?
>>>
>>> pastorhergert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>>Hello Ralph,
>>
>>Paul from Palm here. I imagine you've tried recalibrating the screen
>>but, just in case, check the Palm Knowledge Library article
>>"Calibrating your touchscreen (digitizer)" at
>>http://www.palmone.com/cgi-bin/cso_kbURL.cgi?ID=24443
>>
>>This article also describes a method for cleaning around the edge of
>>the screen to dislodge small particles of debris that may have become
>>trapped under the frame.
>>
>>Best
>>
>>Paul
>>

> Thanks, Paul from Palm, for your response and responsiveness.  I'm
> impressed with the commitment you and your company have for helping
> end users. . . monitoring these newsgroups is kind of affirmative
> action in customer service.
>
> I've done the digitizer calibration (seems good) and the edge cleaning
> with paper.  I think that it's helped. . .
>
> but now my question is this:  have you a position about the plastic
> stickon screen protectors?  I've used them on a couple of palm units
> in the past. . . and on this Zire 72. . . but now I wonder if there is
> a genuine need for the sheet of plastic.  Have you a company position?
> Personal preference?  Just curious.
>
> Thanks again.

In  the past (with a currently retired M130), I personally chose to  paste
duct tape atop of the bottom area of the screen, which was most sensitive.
This  was suggested as a replacement to costly overlays and this seems  to
have worked fine for several years.

The  M130  was easily scratched (compared with the Tungstens) and it  only
took  months  for it to wear out and for plastic to be rubbed  off,  which
made  some protection very essential. If you choose to go down this route,
be sure to use duct tape which allows the stylus to slide easily. Also, it
need  to be easy to remove and should not erode too quickly. On occasions,
you might have to change it as the 'touch' becomes poorer. Benzine or some
other strong agents can remove the remainder of the glue from the screen.

Commercial protectors are more expensive... (I was an undergraduate at the
time)

http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CL-429&Category_Code=

Hope that helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Pentiums melt in your PC, not in your hand"
  5:45pm  up 19 days 13:39,  6 users,  load average: 0.20, 0.30, 0.33