Re: Google duo's new jet is a Boeing 767-200

__/ [www.1-script.com] on Tuesday 22 November 2005 20:54 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> "Every Silicon Valley tech giant has to have his jet. Google
>> co-founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page have settled on a Boeing 767 as
>> their personal jet ...
>
> Hey, Roy. I was hoping that, since you are interested in search engines,
> you would give Google founders a benefit of a doubt about their ability to
> make solid business decisions.

I was merely quoting, not criticising...

I once pointed to that article, observing the fact that Brin, Page (even
Gates) come from affluent families.

> Think of how boring a news this would be if Larry or Sergey bought a
> Gulfstream or LearJet like everyone else. Yet they "settled" for a ship
> that comfortably accommodates 50 people (after remodeling is complete) but
> costs 70% of a new business jet that sits 12 (and has so much less
> room/amenities). Boeing 767 also has a lot of parts and trained
> maintenance personnel all over the world, and to buy a bolt and have it
> installed on a LearJet you'd have to pay an arm and a leg. The only
> problem is: the gas mileage is going to suck compared to a smaller
> business jet.

Plus, they can set up YAD (Yet Another Datacentre) on that plane, shall they
ever wish to do so. Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "the server has
crashed"...

> Besides, I think it slips public's mind that Sergey Brin and Larry Page
> are actually two different men. Unless they are gay and married to each
> other, a SINGLE jet is not going to be "PERSONAL" for two separate
> families! So, it is a business jet and not an extravagant personal toy.
>
> I honestly salute these guys for their ability to pull it off.

I am sure that this 767 will end up among that pile of toys, right next to
the tricycle and that red bouncy ball they hop on in Googleplex. *smile*

Some recent photos:

http://zdnet.com.au/insight/software/soa/Photo_gallery_Inside_the_GooglePlex/0,39023769,39223136-14,00.htm

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "All your archives are (sic) belong to Google"
  3:45am  up 19 days 23:39,  4 users,  load average: 0.30, 0.71, 1.00