Re: How to 'retire' a page and point it to the new URL without Google.penalty

  • Subject: Re: How to 'retire' a page and point it to the new URL without Google.penalty
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 04:03:50 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [John Bokma] on Wednesday 23 November 2005 01:29 \__

> "Dan V." <d@xxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I am renaming a web page but realize I may need to keep the old page
>> around for a few months at least to direct users.
>> How can I do this without getting penalized by Google etc?
>
> mod_rewrite, 301 redirect it, as explained by Google on their webmaster's
> pages (IIRC).

Have a look at the following:

http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E301.html

I  also suggest that you look into the way search engines interpret  this.
There  might  be some specifics, which are worth paying careful  attention
to.  I  knew someone who had lost his PageRank while migrating. This  hap-
pened despite the fact that he followed Google's guidelines.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 21978 x 4 = 21978 backwards
  4:00am  up 19 days 23:54,  4 users,  load average: 0.74, 0.44, 0.61