Re: [Retract last message] dither filter

  • Subject: Re: [Retract last message] dither filter
  • From: Spamless <Spamless@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:04:17 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gimp
On 2005-11-22, giacomo boffi <giacomo.boffi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> hi Roy, my followup is a bit late... my apologies
>
>> __/ [Roy Schestowitz] on Tuesday 08 November 2005 15:22 \__
>>
>>> __/ [giacomo boffi] on Tuesday 08 November 2005 12:35 \__

>>> I can see it in GIMP 1.2.3 [...] Ditto in the Gimp 2.0.2
>>
>> After a thorough check, I realises that "Dithering" is no longer visible
>> under the "Noise" menu. I searched the Web for 10 minutes and the most I
>> could come up with was the old extension:

I am using gimp 2.2.9 on Linux, Fedora Core2 and have
Filters->Noise->Ditherize. It is a perl script. I see in the perl gimp
file, Gimp-2.0/examples/ditherize.

The perl plugin (and the GAP, gimp animation package) are separate.
  ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/plug-ins/v2.2/perl/
has a beta (pre-release) version, Gimp-2.2pre1.tar.gz.
I am using the file
  ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/plug-ins/v2.0/perl/Gimp-2.0.tar.gz

Some of the modules require that the perl PDL module be installed
(that is a math module for handling, among other things, large arrays of
numbers and what is a bitmap image but a large array of numbers?).

> looks like no dithering filter in gimp's versions >2.2.0...

Well ... ditherize if you install the perl plugin ...

You may find other things (the last item which appeared to be missing but is
apparently in the perl Gimp plugin and was mentioned here was "Center
Layer") which appear to be missing without the perl plugin.