Re: google sitemap => vast increase in pages indexed (was Re: Google index my site but no content)

  • Subject: Re: google sitemap => vast increase in pages indexed (was Re: Google index my site but no content)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 17:57:16 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [Big Bill] on Wednesday 23 November 2005 17:15 \__

> On 23 Nov 2005 08:31:28 -0800, "PBurch" <PaulaBurchTemp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>>www.1-script.com wrote:
>>> I have a site that jumped from 100K+ pages to 1.2M+ pages in a
>>> matter of a week WITHOUT any traffic increase. This simply means that
>>> Google knows the pages exists, but does not show a link to that page on
>>> any SERP because it does not know what the page is about. Granted, I
>>> started using XML site maps right around that time (a theme for a
>>> separate
>>> thread), so maybe that has some effect on bloating of  the index...
>>
>>It was just after I installed a Google sitemap that the number of pages
>>on my site indexed by Google shot up ten-fold, as indicated by
>>allinurl:www.pburch.net (using <http://www.yourcache.com/check.php> to
>>keep track). I wonder if this is a coincidence. (It did result in an
>>increase in traffic!)

It's probably no coincidence. Dmitri, who has hundreds of thousands of pages,
reported a similar impact.

>>It is easy to add more sitemaps to Google as I add more pages, and it
>>seems as though missing pages are added into the Google index faster if
>>I make a sitemap that *starts* with the missing page. Is there any
>>reason to remove the old sitemaps as I add new ones?

Probably yes, but it may lead to little or no difference. Also, are the page
static (immutable) or do you still update them on occasions? Indexed pages
are unlikely to be dropped unless you request such action explicitly.

>>I have not been using the Google-provided sitemap generator, but rather
>>the AuditMyPC sitemap generator at
>><http://www.auditmypc.com/free-sitemap-generator.asp>, because it is so
>>easy to use. Is there any downside to this?

Nope. An XML sitemap has either a valid or an invalid form. If Google read it
in the past, is appears to honour its structure. There are issue like
crawling priorities though, which are worth tweaking wisely.

>>Paula
>
> I don't think anyone's going to know that yet, Paula. Important bits
> of Google seem to have ground to a halt while they gear up to take on
> board all the over-subscribers to their new analytics facility and
> what seems to be a new way of applying for site mapping.
> So I don't know myself and if no-one else answers either, it's not
> because we're all ignoring you, we just don't know yet!

...And also because the parent post is so old (November 11th), so I only
happened to spot it by coincidence! *smile*

Best regards,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Black holes are where God is divided by zero"
  5:50pm  up 20 days 13:44,  4 users,  load average: 0.28, 0.17, 0.18