Re: Google Groups Truncated Atricles - What's up with that ?

  • Subject: Re: Google Groups Truncated Atricles - What's up with that ?
  • From: catherine yronwode <catherine@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:08:15 -0700
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
QuienEs wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 09:53:15 +0200, Berimor <roman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> |On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 06:30:56 +0200, QuienEs
> |<QuienEsREMOVETHIS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> |
> |> Recently I've searched Google Groups and found older, fairly short,
> |> articles that are obviously truncated - they just end in mid
> sentence.
> |

> |Link, please.
>
> Very reasonable request - but I can't find an example right away.   It
> last happened a few days ago and I can't find the article -  next time
> it happens I will re-post with a link/links.  Maybe these 2 ocurrances
> were just a fluke.  Unless others post more info.  Thanks for your
> reply.
>
> QE in NJ

I don't have a link for you, Roy, but this flaw has been pointed out
before in this usenet group, right aound the time google took its
useless p.o.s. beta version of the usenet archive online and replaced
the wonderful, useful old version it had inherited from dejanews.

Unfortunately, the one person who complained most loudly about the
cocked-up beta version of googlegroups and how badly it sucks was a man
named Daniel Min, who is considered by many to be a "usenet kook" due to
his personal interests. Alas, in this case, the messenger was so reviled
that the message -- wich was true, and could have been verified by
anyone (and which i verified myself) -- was ignored and laughed off.
Daniel did give a link to a truncated message, but it was one of his
own, and characeristically for him, he saw in this google flaw an
instance of an anti-Daniel-Min conspiracy. Still, the truth was there
for enyone to see: google is truncating messages in its usenet archive.

Anyway, to make a long story short -- yes, google's beta usenet archive
is badly screwed up and it sucks. Messages are trucncated for arbitrary
and non-evident reasons, the find function is not always useable ("find
by message ID" is a farce), and, worse, a google copyright falsley
appears on each served piece of text, even those that already contain
their own author's copyrights.

--
cat (who is so disgusted with the google beta usenet archive that she
will not take the time to try to locate Daniel Min's oiginal message) yronwode

http://www.arcanearchive.org -- hand-made archive of magical usenet posts