Re: Windoze causes fan burnouts?

  • Subject: Re: Windoze causes fan burnouts?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 02:44:36 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [Thomas Wootten] on Sunday 27 November 2005 23:20 \__

> Ian Hilliard wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:55:24 +0000, 7 wrote:
>>
>>> Just wondering if windoze causes frequent fan burn outs?
>>> Every PC I have has problems with fan if they
>>> have in the past ran windoze. But curiously, none
>>> of the Linux machines have any problems for over a year!
>>>
>>> I'm just wondering, are these CPU fans and possibly
>>> other fans running at a higher speed and/or is the
>>> windoze CPU usage so high while doing 'nothing' that fan speeds
>>> are wizzing permanently at high speed?
>>>
>>> From laptops to desktops, this seems to be a common problem.
>>
>> Linux is clearly much more efficient with resources. I have a Toshiba M3
>> with 2GHz Pentium M and I can't use it under Windows, because it just gets
>> too hot. It got so hot one time that it even scorched a wooden table it
>> was sitting on. With Linux the notebook stays much cooler and I get an
>> extra hour out of the battery.
>>
>> Without Linux my notebook would be unusable. With Linux it is a great
>> companion while I travel around the world.
>>
>> Ian
>
> Try running XaoS (under Windows or Linux) :)
> Invest in a fire extinguisher first though ;)

Maybe this will shed some light:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/index.php?p=459

"What?s noteworthy about it is that Microsoft compared Singularity to FreeBSD
and Linux as well as Windows/XP - and almost every result shows Windows
losing to the two Unix variants. For example, they show the number of CPU
cycles needed to 'create and start a process? as 1,032,000 for FreeBSD,
719,000 for Linux, and 5,376,000 for Windows/XP.'"

So, which O/S is working harder according to benchmarks from nowhere other
than Redmond?

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    make install -not war
  2:40am  up   2:24,  2 users,  load average: 0.37, 0.56, 0.36