Dell Pay Customers to use Windows?

Apologies if this was mentioned in COLA already.

Dell are allegedly charging more for their open PC than they charge for a
machine with a commercial O/S installed.

To me, this raises many concerns. Is it possible that Microsoft are funding
hardware to preserve the integrity of their shackles? Are they relying on
expensive Office licences and user dependency through familiarity? If so,
is this not unethical? Must anti-trust be woken up again?

Are Dell just too blind to see an irrational pricing scheme? I once went to
a restaurant where half a litre cost less than half than an entire litre.
Is it merely a fluke or a master plan?

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/08/034211&tid=190&tid=137

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Black holes are where God is divided by zero"
  6:20am  up 44 days 18:34,  3 users,  load average: 0.28, 0.39, 0.42