Re: Copying and Pasting Drives

__/ [Stan Gosnell] on Sunday 16 October 2005 00:06 \__

> Sandy <sjmurraymd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>
>> Thank, Roy - worked like a charm.

Happy to hear that, Sandy.

*Turns to Gosnell, confused*

> It's actually easier than that.  Connect the reader, insert the card, open
> Windows Explorer (My Computer), and highlight the drive.  Tell Windows to
> copy the drive (several ways to do this - right-click, click on copy in
> the left pane, etc), ...

Okay, so now the Win32 clipboard will contain the location of the drive, but
not physically obtain a copy of data therein...

> ...then remove the card, insert the new card, and then
> paste. You copy the card just like you copied floppy disks, it's
> identical, just another drive with removable media.

I assume that something is happening 'behind the scenes' if Windows does
that. That's probably the reason for my confusion. *smile*

Then again, what if the user wants to 'paste' the card onto his/her
hard-drive. Will the lag take place at the stage of copying? It's not
natural to the user's mind and seems somewhat of an opaque, hidden feature.

This behaviour may have been inherited from the floppy disk, which is 1.44MB
at most (excluding the exceptions). Some cards are 4 GB in volume. Will
Windows hold that volume in RAM? Will it put it temporarily in cache? What
if no space is available? All are questions to ponder...

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: the buttocks is the largest muscle
  5:40am  up 51 days 17:54,  5 users,  load average: 0.16, 0.34, 0.57