Re: (OT) ASP Sites and Open Source

  • Subject: Re: (OT) ASP Sites and Open Source
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 14:42:35 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [Logician] on Sunday 16 October 2005 14:23 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [Logician] on Sunday 16 October 2005 10:36 \__
>>

>> Nice! Now I know where to buy goods for the house... (bookmarked)
>>
>> Good luck,
>
> Nice of you to say. It is difficult for outsiders to understand that
> when something works after you have spent thousands of hours banging
> your head against a brick wall, it is a sort of vindication.
>
> There is a lot more to come, and the whole site (now it has 41,000
> pages indexed in google) is automatically built using .NET systems I
> have written, including all receipts, purchase orders, indexing
> internal, accounts (VAT), etc. Its own engine will associate products
> as well - currently it just references - there are 300,000 references.
>
> So I just need the data. I have also offline modules to enter data
> which I also wrote.

Hmmm... I don't want to toss that coin in the fountain, but that's what Open
Source is good for. You needn't have implemented anything. Such content
management systems come out of the box without bugs and are free. They also
generate pages on-the-fly, not offline.

If you ever seek some links, just ask. Free systems for secure payments,
helpdesk management, cataloguing, carts, etc. all exist already. Then
again, the user never gets the satisfaction of being the 'brain' behind
his/her own CMS/package, which can later be sold or distributed among the
community. Webmasterworld, for example, have spawned a forum software out
of their site's homebred code (which is cr** to be honest).

> I have just one guy doing the data entry, so we are a bit slow now. I
> have a hope to expand to more people. The site is already probably the
> biggest UK bathroom site.
>
> Prior to my PPC I was really struggling as I am up against
> bathstore.com (which has millions of pounds) and a string of medium
> size companies. There simply outbid me, paid for links etc, and I could
> not get anywhere.
>
> Since the PPC campaign it has been terrific. The phone always rings,
> and there are a stream of orders. I am so tired, I cannot even write
> the .NET upgrades I have to write.

Is that an offer (apologies if it's a complete misinterpretation)? If so, I
should point out that I only do Open Source stuff, but you might as well
have a look at the site of a fellow newsgroup participant:

http://www.nerdlance.com/

A bunch of us gave him some free links a few months ago as he had rather low
PageRank. Consequently, he did not have a sufficient number of SE
referrals, but he seems to be growing very strong now.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows all-in-one: Word, IE (for E-mail) & iTunes
  2:30pm  up 52 days  2:44,  5 users,  load average: 0.15, 0.41, 0.48