Re: MDV 2006 Realplayer 10 does not work

  • Subject: Re: MDV 2006 Realplayer 10 does not work
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 11:18:31 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mandrake
__/ [Aragorn] on Wednesday 26 October 2005 10:31 \__

> On Wednesday 26 October 2005 11:10, Colin Hammond stood up and spoke the
> following words to the masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake...:/
>
>> I click on Real player 10 gold in MDV 2006 and it tries to start for
>> about 10 seconds I see icon on tool bar then dies and the nothing, any
>> one has had the same problem, if yes how did you fix it please?

When I set up a new KDE-based (SuSE) machine just 2 days ago, Real Player 10
was very buggy 'out of the box'. It must be avoided, in my humble opinion,
as it lacks functionality and is spyware by default. It froze constantly,
sound was often cut off periodically, it was unable to handle filenames with
'difficult' symbols (e.g. %20) and that's just the beginning of it all...

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing using the package management
tool? If I recall correctly, Mandrake(driva) has a graphical front-end
similar to YaST for that task. I only know Mandrake, I'm afraid...

> Try launching it from a terminal window and see whether it spits out
> error messages.  Additionally you could launch it through /strace/ and
> see where it dies (or hangs).
>
>         man strace
>
> ... for details.
>
> Hope this helps... ;-)

strace -f realplay > ~/report 2>&1

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    chmod a-r *.mbox
 11:10am  up 61 days 21:19,  5 users,  load average: 0.31, 0.28, 0.28