Re: I'm settling on ubuntu

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 05:19:13 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [George Ellison] on Monday 24 October 2005 16:05 \__
>
>> Segovia <incorrect@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> I like it the way it is.  I don't want to have to download 3-7 CDs in
>>> order to install maybe 1/10th of the packages.  The other 9/10ths I'll
>>> *never* use, so it's just a waste of my time and their bandwidth. I'd
>>> rather download a very basic install, like Ubuntu, then grab the extra
>>> stuff I need after.
>

> That's understandable, but see my point about distribution for a
> beginner and a distribution intended for intensive work.

Everyone's needs are different.  It has nothing to do with being a
beginner.  It has to do with the distro only including the most basic set
of software that nearly every user will need - a web browser, email
client, multimedia player, graphics viewer, etc.  From there, they can get
the specific tools that they need to do their work or play.  The tools
that you need to do "intensive work" are surely completely different than
mine, unless we happen to be in the same field?

Complaining about the set of default software a distro ships with is like
complaining about the default theme colors.  It's silly, since it's easy
to customize.

> There is no Registry bloat (unlike Windows), so more programs do not
> entail a significant performance penalty.

Yes, but it is absurd to install things that you will never use or need.
Why would a person do that?

>>> If the repos were slow, I might change my mind, but I don't think I've
>>> ever gotten under 700 kB/sec from any Ubuntu server, so installing the
>>> extra stuff is trivial.
>

> What if you want to install the same distribution on a cluster of
> machines? Would you not rather have it complete 'out of the box'?

Yes.  Sure.  But that doesn't describe my situation.  And it probably
doesn't describe the type of user that Ubuntu is targeting. That's just
speculation on my part, though.

--
Segovia