Re: Need Phd. In Search engines....

  • Subject: Re: Need Phd. In Search engines....
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 15:19:09 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [Big Bill] on Saturday 29 October 2005 13:13 \__

> On 29 Oct 2005 04:27:16 -0700, "ZRexRider" <jerryg@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>My experience with a "lack of listing" regarding an old web site I
>>developed makes me wonder about the results I get when I search for
>>stuff.
>>
>>I created a website for a town. In this example
>>http:// www.TownNameStateName. com.   This site is all about the town
>>(named in the URL).  It describes the town, its history, the schools,
>>pictures and has about 40 pages.  All of the pages do a relatively good
>>job of using the town name in the text.  Designed to be useful not
>>attract search engines. A human would look at this and recognize that
>>this is the most relevant search target for anyone who searched for
>>"TownName StateName"
>>
>>So from a seach engine/human point of view - this would be the site
>>that would have the most relevant information abou this town.  However,
>>the site has been up for 5 years and still has no ranking in Google.
>>Heck FindAFlorist.com is ranked 14th!!! What the heck do they have to
>>do with a city/town?  Google even ranks single pages of some kid in
>>college who is from that town and mentions it once!.
>>
>>I did this town site for free and don't really care how high it ranks
>>but it makes me realize how crappy and manufactured search results can
>>often be.  I'm just glad I don't have a cell phone biz or something and
>>have to fight with this "magic" to get listed.
>
> How many inbound links does it have? What's in their anchor text?

Exactly.  No links would make it an island. When my personal site  resided
in a subdirectory on another domain (danielsorogon.com), it was barely ev-
er crawled.

Also,  check  to  see if all pages been indexed? If not,  what  proportion
would you say reached the Google index? Try searching for:

site:http:// www.TownNameStateName. com (collapse 2 spaces)

Remember  that search engines do not get a list of sites from ICANN.  Many
sites  are  parked  domains with repeated references to the host  or  some
sponsored  directories. You must convince the search engine that your site
is  part of cyberspace, i.e. a worthy part of information for the communi-
ty. With all the spam content sites out there, search engines must be pru-
dent.