Re: SuSE 9.3: next issue...

  • Subject: Re: SuSE 9.3: next issue...
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 14:23:49 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [William Poaster] on Sunday 30 October 2005 14:04 \__

> On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 14:40:53 +0100, a broadcast message from the Karel "de
> Jazz" Jansens console, was as follows:
>
>> So I bought a new keyboard and figured I'd install it on the -- for now --
>> SuSE 9.3 pc.
>>
>> After coming home I discover that the keyboard is QWERTY, but not US
>> QWERTY rather than the slightly different (and immensly more useful, for
>> Europeans) Dutch QWERTY, with deadkeys, more logically laid out accents
>> and symbols and keys assigned to RGTALT+[KEY] (including the EURO-symbol).
>>
>> So I boot up the computer, firstly into Windows 2000, select keyboard
>> layout and Dutch and everything works as expected (in truth: I /hadn't/
>> expected this from Windows, but there you go).
>>
>> Reboot to SuSE 9.3, fire up YaST (KDE Control Center hangs the computer,
>> remember?) and select keyborar, Dutch layout, save.
>>
>> Does it work? Does it bugger all! SuSE's idea of a Dutch keyboard layout
>> is a renamed US layout, which renders my new keyboard next to useless. So,
>> to be certain, I put in a live CD of Ubuntu 4.1 (a /very/ old version
>> indeed) and fire it up. Sure thing, as expected, even a prehistoric
>> version of Ubuntu can come up with a proper Dutch layout.
>>
>> Why do people even pay money to these morons at SuSE anymore?
>
> Have you complained TO SuSE or Novell? Or are you just going to keep
> whining & ranting?

...Well,  interesting timing as I installed SuSE 9.3 on a new machine 4 or
5  days ago and I /suspect/ it had a few problems with my keyboard  layout
too.  I  haven't got around to looking at it in depth. I have 2 other  new
keyboards  lying around just in case, but I believe I should simply change
to GB layout. YaST actually makes this very easy.

The  only thing that bothers me, believe it or not, is that the keyboard I
received  in the package, although it looks wonderful, has a circle  where
the  right  SHIFT typically lies. It is hard getting accustomed to  always
use  the left SHIFT. What is that circle anyway? And why is it that I  al-
ways  spend  a few seconds trying to figure out what's wrong until  I  see
that  the  colon is in fact a semi-colon? Why is it that amaroK  uses  the
Windows  logo button for global keyboard accelerators? The keyboard strug-
gles must end.

As  for Ubuntu, something about its hardware detection is admirable. I use
it  on a machine at work very happily. Nonetheless, I am an avid SuSE user
and  would  describe your situation as "tough luck". Try OpenSuSE 10.  The
reviews are excellent.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Roughly 2% of your keyboard is O/S-specific
  2:10pm  up 65 days 19:59,  4 users,  load average: 0.39, 0.55, 0.58