Re: Another convert

__/ [wd] on Monday 31 October 2005 04:22 \__

> Just introduced some more college students to Linux today.  I thought it
> wasn't possible -- a hardcore Windows gamer, and a girl who had never
> heard the word "Linux" before.

*smile*

Good, good. Educate them while they are young... before the FUD and
well-insted propaganda takes over...

> The girl loves the penguin, the starfish (one of the Ubuntu themes), and
> the free games (no more free Windows games with spyware).  She lost her
> Windows installation disk and now has a free replacement (Linux).  The
> guy wants some CDs too for a dual boot system.
>
> Ubuntu does it again.

I never thought of the variety themes as a primary selling point or point of
appeal. When I get to think about it, kids like colourful interactivity more
than adults. They also appreciate the ability to distinguish their workspace
from that of their peers. Look at a youngster's mobile phone, for example.
It's that teenage individuality phase. Arrogant decisions over UI themes, as
well as Solitaire just don't cut it anymore.

Great job!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 111111 X 111111 = 12345654321
  8:20am  up 66 days 14:09,  4 users,  load average: 1.09, 0.82, 0.70