Re: Nofollow Patent?

__/ [davidof] on Saturday 10 September 2005 18:35 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> I can spot rel="nofollow" in the strangest
>> places now, even in large news sites that try to control their PageRank
>> distribution.
>
> Reminds me, I must file a business process patent - a way of scoring
> websites based on the number of incoming nofollow links, with their
> widespread adoption in CMS/Blogs/Directories/Wikis it won't be long
> before they are the only links it is worth counting for PR terms.

I am not entirely sure this would work. Abandoned blogs continue to be
plagued by 'nofollowed' comment-bound links, which means that you might mix
ham with spam.

I sometimes wonder how 'nofollowed' links affect scores, if at all. Isn't
the idea of introducing rel="nofollow" a little daunting to a mediocre Web
designer/dev.? Does everyone have to think in terms of PageRank when
designing or composing articles? Is it not the equivalent of crossing out
citation text in the bibliography section? Is banishment the
cyber-equivalent to bookburning?

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"
  6:55pm  up 16 days 19:26,  3 users,  load average: 0.32, 0.87, 0.80