Re: Dreamweaver funtionality on Linux

  • Subject: Re: Dreamweaver funtionality on Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 14:09:12 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
__/ [Robert] on Sunday 11 September 2005 13:11 \__

> It seems to be a fairly trivial matter to set up (in Dreamweaver) the
> checking in and out of files from a remote server to avoid the problem
> of two people editing the same file at the same time.

Possibility #1: Have you considered a Wiki? Whether it is an appropriate
solution or not depends on your site. You can easily copy and paste HTML
code to and from the Wiki's textarea.

Possibility #2: I you collaborate on files, how about removing them from the
server (literally checking them out) rather than copying them? When done,
put the file/s back in place.

Possibility #3: Set up a CVS repository where you work on your site/s. A
cron job will copy files from the repository to the Web server/public_html
area. We have that set up in the Division. Not only can you lock files, but
merging is possible too.

> Does anyone know if this can be done in Linux? (I'm running Slackware
> 10.1 on a 2.4.29 kernel and kde 3.3.2). I have Bluefish and Quanta Plus
> installed and have googled through a lot of cvs pages but it all seems
> a bit overboard for what I want.

I don't know Bluefish, but Quanta Plus is a great tool, especially if you
get yourself accustomed to it.

> I did follow instructions here,
> http://invisiblepixels.org/progs/quanta.html#cerv regarding Quanta Plus
> but I don't get the 'extra menus and extra entries within existing
> menus' added as it suggests should happen and I don't know why.
>
> Maybe I should ask this in a linux group, but I thought I would start
> here. I'm hoping there's a ready made solution that I haven't found
> yet.
>
> regards,

If you are not satisfied with the replies here, you can always take your
business to the Linux groups. *smile* alt.os.linux.suse is occupied by some
very experienced members 'pool'.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
  2:00pm  up 17 days 12:28,  3 users,  load average: 0.63, 0.52, 0.61