Re: JavaScript to Fetch Text

__/ [Vladdy] on Monday 12 September 2005 07:51 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [Neredbojias] on Monday 12 September 2005 05:44 \__
>>
>> <SNIP>
>>
>> To rephrase my request as you were not sure what I meant, I seek to grab
>> text from http://example.org/data.txt and then embed it in a <span>, for
>> instance, in http://example.com/page.html. data.txt gets updated all the
>> time, hence it needs to be grabbed. If JavaScript was disabled, there
>> would be no harm either.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> Roy
> function getFile(filename)
>    { oxmlhttp = null;
>      try
>        { oxmlhttp = new XMLHttpRequest();
>          oxmlhttp.overrideMimeType("text/xml");
>        }
>      catch(e)
>        { try
>            { oxmlhttp = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP");
>            }
>          catch(e)
>            { return null;
>            }
>        }
>      if(!oxmlhttp) return null;
>      try
>        { oxmlhttp.open("GET",filename,false);
>          oxmlhttp.send(null);
>        }
>      catch(e)
>        { return null;
>        }
>      return oxmlhttp.responseText;
>    }
>
> function returns file content as text string.
> beware of x-domain scripting restrictions.

Thank you very much for the reply.

Below is the code that I have added as a wrapper. I still have a slight
problem, which perhaps you can solve 'on the spot'. The following
simplified example will work fine (I do not know JS methods):

[CODE]

function showInfo()
{
 oxmlhttp =getFile('/robots.txt');
 document.write(oxmlhttp);
}

[/CODE]

but the following will not

[CODE]

function showInfo()
{
 oxmlhttp =getFile('http://example.org/robots.txt');
 document.write(oxmlhttp);
}

[/CODE]

Is there a simple way around this? The text remains 'null' if I try the
latter, which is why I need to access a machine of mine from the Web
server.

Thanks again,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | (S)oftware (U)nd (S)ystem(E)ntwicklung
  1:55pm  up 18 days  9:01,  3 users,  load average: 1.76, 1.70, 1.32