Re: What has Google done for us?

  • Subject: Re: What has Google done for us?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:09:46 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [rapskat] on Monday 12 September 2005 17:55 \__

> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:16:21 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:
>
>> So, I think you might be mistaken on google's role.  I think they prefer
>> to appear neutral (considering Microsoft's well deserved reputation for
>> agressive and illegal business activities, this is probably sensible
>> self-defence).
>
> I know that they have contributed in some small degree to various OSS
> projects. However this doesn't change the fact that they are 100% M$ only
> when it comes to their products and services for the desktop.
>
> Google Desktop...Windows only.
> Google Earth...Windows only.
> Google Picasa...Windows only.
> Google Talk...Windows only.
> Google Toolbar...Windows only.
> Google Send-to-Phone...Windows only.
> Google Web Accelerator...Windows only.
> Google Video Viewer...Windows only.
> Google Deskbar...Windows only.

Wrong. [sarcasm] The Google Toolbar for Firefox was made available a month
or two ago.

> Whatever tiny contributions they've made to whatever projects are
> completely dwarfed by the amount that they've made and saved by using OSS
> products, and as well by the fact that they completely ignore the Linux
> desktop with their products and do nothing to add value to the end user
> Linux desktop as they do for Windows.

That is the nature of indulging on the audience that makes a majority.

> To add insult to injury, they don't even use their brand name recognition
> to promote Linux and OSS technologies to the world!  Even though they use
> it themselves, it's like something they're ashamed of and only recently
> have divulged that they use.  There are no prominent pages or links on
> their site dedicated to Linux/OSS, telling people about it and what it is
> or what it can do.

In their defence, promoting an operating system, which is something Google
do not deal with directly, would appear like propaganda and become a
repellent.

> For what Linux/OSS has done for Google, they should be much more involved
> and giving back alot more than what they are.  Not because they have to,
> but out of sheer appreciation for everything that Linux/OSS has done for
> them.  My little shop donates a portion of the profits that we make using
> Linux/OSS to various OSS projects on a regular basis, in addition to
> promoting it to various businesses, organizations and individuals in the
> local and surrounding areas. We proudly display Linux and OSS on our
> marketing materials and website and have various links and articles about
> it. We certainly make a hell of a lot less from it than Google does.

I believe this is bound to change, especially with appropriate criticism,
which I am sure these posts project.

> Google is an OSS parasite.  They are in a position to do so much for
> Linux/OSS, but all they do is take big and give a pittance in return.

One thing that I can assure you they do is employ people with *nix skills,
which in turn helps support Open Source. One could argue the contrary and
say that brain drain affects OSS the most, and not always positively.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | The most satisfying eXPerience is UNIX
  6:00pm  up 18 days 13:06,  3 users,  load average: 0.38, 0.31, 0.37