Re: Linux for Family

  • Subject: Re: Linux for Family
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 15:52:39 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [rapskat] on Saturday 17 September 2005 11:36 \__

> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 01:58:27 -0500, Linux User wrote:
>
>> I wanted to switch her to one of the "easier" versions of Linux, but, I
>> think it is best to keep her with what she already knows and understands.
>> This is especially the case since she wants her computer "the way it
>> was".
>
> Ultimately, you have to do what is in the user's best interests.  You
> can't switch a person to Linux just because *you* want them to, it has to
> be a case where Linux could and would offer the best option for them given
> the circumstances.
>
> If a person is hostile to it from the beginning, then chances are they
> aren't going to stay with it anyway.  Setting up a dual boot system or at
> the very least providing them with a LiveCD of some distro would be an
> option for when their Windows eventually takes a dive.

Good point. I am tired of trying to convince my mother that she should use
Ubuntu. No matter if it takes her _days_ to have someone restore her
machine, she insists on using that same pile of garbage that got her there
in the first place.

I should probably get her on the live CD first, which is something I haven't
thought about until you mentioned it. If I could spare more time, I could
probably move my entire family to Linux, but sometimes I think that they
should punish themselves until they learn a lesson or two. They refuse to
listen. I have successfully persuaded a few people to switch already,
without much effort either. However, I then found myself in the "support
guy" role, which makes me reluctant to do so again. I can sometimes hear
those happy penguins I 'gave birth' to. They still swim around UseNet, only
better equipped.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Proprietary cripples communication
  3:40pm  up 23 days  3:54,  2 users,  load average: 0.42, 0.52, 0.54