Re: Site Spam Problems

__/ [John Bokma] on Saturday 17 September 2005 17:12 \__

>> 4) Spam protection mechanisms deter feedback, e.g. CAPTCHA, message
>> length restrictions
>
> Mine is 40 characters at the moment. A comment of less then 40 characters
> often is "Cool!", "OMG, that's so C00l", etc. and of course the spam I
> see.

Many of the comments I get are from readers who just wish to express concent
or urge me to continue posting. If I had imposed a limit of 40 characters
on top of what I already have, I would get even fewer comments

Speaking of message scale, spammers sometimes write more lengthy messages
than actual people. You must never assume. Spammers adapt until they
properly emulate the people, in accordance with current posting trends.

REMEMBER: The frustration of being unable to post can drive away a regular
reader. I was once trackbacked by someone who repeatedly tried to post a
lengthy comment without success. I wonder how many try and then simply
leave without writing an entire new post just to incorporate and
accommodate the comment they have composed. This worries me at times.
Everyone loses.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Open the Gate$ to Hell
  5:20pm  up 23 days  5:34,  2 users,  load average: 1.77, 0.65, 0.53