Re: Linux Arrogance

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [Kelsey Bjarnason] on Saturday 17 September 2005 08:16 \__
>
> > [snips]
> >
> > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> >
> >> A decent proportion of Windows users dislike the Linux community. They
> >> sometimes describe Linux users as arrogant.
> >
> > And justifiably, in some cases.
> >
> > I was in an IRC Linux channel this evening.  In the space of less than
> > 15 minutes, at least three people were treated like complete garbage
> > because they dared to ask questions about the care and feeding of Linux
> > systems.
> >
> > Two of the apparent regulars started spewing "Troll" over nothing more
> > trollish than simply seeking help.  I finally left.  People of that sort
> > don't benefit anything but their egos.
>

> I agree with you at some level. I have seen some terrible intolerant
> behaviour. My signatures are often occupied by Linux propaganda, but I
> doubt anybody find that offensive. Humour is the emphasis.

And that's the way it ought to be done. People can disagree on
politics, religion, computers, cars, "Ginger vs. Mary-Ann", etc. But
people who prefer one make of car over another are not "idiots" and
because someone runs one OS instead of another doesn't necessarily make
them a "moron."

A great example of intolerant behviour is a recent thread regarding
Eric Raymond. He seems very proud to publicly say:

"...you or your research team couldn't get a clue if it were pounded
into you with baseball bats."

"...stick to something easier, like talking Pope Benedict into
presiding at a
Satanist orgy?"

"I'm trying to destroy your company... On that hopefully not too far
distant day that I piss on Microsoft's grave, I sincerely hope none
of it will splash on you."

<sarcasm>
He sure sounds like a charming and pleasant person. I'm glad he doesn't
have any "issues" or built up anxiety that needs to be dealt with. He
seems to be very stable and isn't blowing things out of proportion.
</sarcasm>