Re: Importing crashed data question

__/ [Brian Hart] on Sunday 18 September 2005 19:44 \__

> I have Palm Desktop 4.1 installed on my computer.
> I am trying to get retrieved  data from a crashed computer's Palm desktop
> onto my computer.
> I have all the data files, address.dat, UiPrefs.dat, datebook.dat,
> todo.dat,
> etc.  When I copy them into an existing Palm user on my computer, I cannot
> access the data.
> I get an error message upon starting the program:
>   Error: Failed to open the Address Book Database
> Since the original computer crashed, I could not export the files first.
> All I have are the .dat files.
> What can I do to get the data from these files?
> Thanks.

Hi Brian,

First of all, please ensure that you installed the same version of Palm
Desktop as you previously had. This may not be a major cause for concern,
but there are certain small differences between data files in 4 and 4.1 as
far as I can gather. Then, make sure that you input (or have already input)
the same username when setting up the new version of Palm Desktop, not the
one failing to survive the crash. Then again, if you handpick files rather
than copying your entire profile directory, this may not be the trick which
would resolve the issue.

Overall, my best advice is that you should 'fool' the current Palm Desktop
installation and have it accept the data file, which have been overwritten.
The best way to do this is to avoid inconsistencies.

Assuming you still fail to bring your data "back to life" in the
conventional way, you can still extract the data in a simple and open form,
e.g. HTML < http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/01/15/palm-to-html/
>. Such conversions do not include Tasks (AKA ToDo) and DateBook, which are
described here:

  * http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/3216/datebook_dat.htm

  * http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/3216/todo_dat.htm

Best of luck,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Disk quota exceeded; sig discontinued"
  5:20am  up 24 days 17:34,  5 users,  load average: 0.41, 0.47, 0.62