Re: How do I fix the Open With list?

__/ [djin] on Monday 19 September 2005 04:26 \__

> I'm using (trying to learn to use) Mandrake 10.1 (uses KDE 3.2)
> I was trying to get .txt files to open with KEdit by default and
> accidently right-clicked on the background area of Konqueror instead of on
> the text file. The result was that whenever I left-clicked on a folder in
> Konqueror it would attempt to open in KEdit and gave me an error box
> saying the folder was not a file. I managed to get it back to
> sort-of-normal with typing in "konqueror" in the box after
> Right-click --> Open with --> Other
> with the "remember application for this type of file" checked. But now the
> Open With menu lists
> Konqueror - hidden
> KEdit
> Cervisia
>
> Is there an easy way to edit what's in the "open with" list?
> I'd like to get KEdit out of there.
>
> This solution seems to have caused a worse problem. Now after logging out
> and logging back in again, I'm unable to use the "Home" icon by
> clicking on it. By default it should be opening in Konqueror. Neither the
> "Home" on the desktop nor the "Home" in the taskbar nor the "Home" in the
> menu that you get to by clicking the icon in the lower left corner of the
> screen will open. Something flickers in the taskbar for a split second but
> nothing opens.
> If I boot to root, Home opens as it should, so the problem seems confined
> to the User account.
>
> Any idea how to fix what I did? It isn't exactly difficult to miss the
> icon when you're right-clicking on something, which is how this mess
> started.

Don't multi-post please. I think it was the Mandrake group where you got
plenty of answers.

You can edit associations in Control Centre. It has a rather convenient user
interface for doing so. If I recall correctly, Mandrake has that facility
too. I wiped Mandrake off my machine yesterday in favour of Ubuntu. I found
Mandrake a little buggy, which made me uncomfortable. In just 24 hours, I
had quite a few issues arise and I had to open shells and look up solutions
in forums.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Spam enchanted evening..."
  8:10am  up 24 days 20:24,  4 users,  load average: 0.27, 0.41, 0.35