Re: eml to mbox conversion

  • Subject: Re: eml to mbox conversion
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 06:25:46 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.misc
__/ [om_chandan@xxxxxxxx] on Monday 19 September 2005 17:19 \__

> Hi all,
>
> I am facing a problem in converting a eml files into mbox format.I am
> able to convert the parent eml mail but when it comes to the attachment
> of emls then things goes wrong ie they are being extracted at all.I
> have to do this conversion on windows platform.
>
> Thanks
> chandan singh

I have been there before. Here is a short reference to a solution <
http://www.schestowitz.com/UseNet/2004/Suse2/msg00041.html >, but as I fear
it may not be complete, allow me to summarise.

Make sure you can run Ruby on your machine. I believe that Ruby should run
on any box as it is platform-independent. Then, download eml2mbox:

http://www.broobles.com/eml2mbox/eml2mboxscript.html

It can either convert one E-mail to an MBOX archive or an entire big list of
EML files that reside in a directory that is passed as an argument to the
script. I used that script heavily in the past, but I am now using
Thunderbird, which stores messages in MBOX form by default.

Speaking of which, if you seek to convert Microsoft's proprietary E-mail
format to MBOX, I suggest that you install Thunderbird. It has a wizard for
automatically importing mail from Outlook or Outlook Express in a non-lossy
fashion.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Gas, brake, honk! Honk, honk, Punch! Gas, gas!
  6:25am  up 25 days 18:39,  4 users,  load average: 0.45, 0.45, 0.35