Re: Gentoo Compilation

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sun, 18 Sep 2005 14:48:37 +0100
<dgjr8l$l3r$4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [TheLetterK] on Sunday 18 September 2005 00:15 \__
>
>>> In other news, I got a shiny new Mandrake box yesterday evening (my third
>>> box). It took me 2-3 minutes to hoist out of the box and attach it to the
>>> peripherals. I had a monitor already. Fully-working KDE with no hassle,
>>> tons of applications... how can one complain? Setting up an entire Linux
>>> cluster in just one hour? It's like groceries.
>>
>> There's nothing quite like the feeling of building a mini-ITX box, and
>> still compiling packages in Gentoo 50 hours later.
>
> *LOL*
>
> This reminds me of this mock-up poster...
>
> http://www.arouse.net/despair-linux/gentoo.jpg

OK, all together now, everyone else who's using Gentoo, give 'em the
Raspberry!  :-P~~~~~~  Guys?  Anyone out there with me?  Hello?  ;-)

Seriously...I do agree that there are issues in having to compile
a stage1, but they do warn you. :-)  The good news is that with a
little work and several identical machines, one can build a
distcc-capable system (at least in theory) and then distribute the
build for one machine, then install using packages.

(Since I have a rather heterogeneous mess o' pottage, from my
1.4 GHz Athlon to a 833 MHz P IV to a pair of 400 MHz P IIIs,
this won't quite work for me, though at some point I'm tempted
to try it.)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
It's still legal to go .sigless.