Re: text and images

  • Subject: Re: text and images
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:54:11 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
__/ [Jukka K. Korpela] on Tuesday 20 September 2005 15:35 \__

> "jj" <no@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> i have a series of images with text descriptions next to each one of
>> them. all are placed within a table.
>
> Please consider using normal spelling with mixed case as well as a real
> From line in your message, if you want to be taken seriously.

Was this truly necessary? Why do you always have to open up your replies
like that?

> Please include a URL of a specific page, if you wish to get help with a
> specific page or specific problem. To begin with, there are about 42
> different ways to put images and descriptions (or captions) in a table.
> Generally, solutions depend on problems, and we don't really know the
> problem.

I agree that a URL would have been highly valuable. I think the description
is rather detailed however.

>> my problem is that when there are too many text & images in the table
>> the last image in the row automatically get placed in a new line, which
>> is what you'd expect.
>
> Really? I didn't expect that. Sounds you have used the 43rd way.
>
>> my question is how do i make the image and text "fuse" together so that
>> if there is no space for the image or the text on the current row they
>> BOTH get placed on a new line instead of one staying on the line above
>> and the other breaking to a new line.

It sounds to me as if you are trying to do something the wrong way. If you
put images and text in a table, which is not ideal, ensure they are placed
in the same table cell.

I suggest that you look into design with standards and have stylesheets
involved. If you have images and captions, define them (semantically) to be
images with some bound description. Don't have an organic mix of floating
objects that are forced to lie within a table. The way that you work at the
moment is bound to fail, especially if you resize the browser window.

> In general, with no regard to any specific existing design and
> implementation (since they were not specified), you could put an image and
> the associated text (caption) in a single-cell table, and use align="left"
> in the <table> tags. This is the pure HTML approach, which isn't really
> modern and stylish, but it might work sufficiently well. It should also
> work for cases where the text is on the right of the image, which might be
> what you're after, though not common, and perhaps not a good idea; it's
> more normal to put a caption below an image, or sometimes above it.
>
> For an illustration, and some other approaches, see
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/captions.html

In the future, sending a picture (screenshot) or an address of a Web page
would be extremely helpful. Answers would be more fruitful. Those who reply
to you would also feel like they truly answer your question rather than
waiving some 'fluffy' answers, which may or may not have any pragmatic
contribution.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | United States: #1 in spam export
  5:40pm  up 26 days  5:54,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.10, 0.18