Re: Opera made free

  • Subject: Re: Opera made free
  • From: wd10 <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:55:14 -0400
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:03:57 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> It has some really cool features and smart intuitive navigation.
>> However, it takes a little effort to get used to it, and I haven't had
>> the patience to learn it all yet. Even I so I do appreciate some of the
>> smart features it has.
>

> From what I hear, everything revolutionary that Opera offers (including
> mouse gestures, for example) can in some way or another be incorporated
> into Firefox.

There is a mouse gestures extension for Firefox.  I think that the only
thing Opera can do that Firefox can't is the voice commands -- but it's
not worth giving up the extensions to be able to talk to my browser.

>> One think I like is that it saves all open tabs by default when I close
>> my browser. (In Firefox I have to remember to "save all open bookmarks").

If there isn't an extension to do that already, I'm sure that it could be
written fairly easily.  That is the advantage to Firefox -- anyone can
write extensions.

>> I don't like the design of Opera, however, it looks clumsy and odd. I
>> prefer Firefox to Opera mainly because of the overall coolness value of
>> Firefox, but also because of some valuable extensions for web
>> developers

I installed the new Opera yesterday and, after poking around in the
menus, I managed to get rid of all the junk that clutters up the screen.
Still, one cannot live without the web developer toolbar, and HTML Tidy
extension (among many others).

> Yes, it would be hard for me to give up all the extensions I have at the
> moment. I think these will ultimately prevent me from upgrading to
> Firefox 1.5... but lock-in due to features is a good thing, right? (as
> opposed to data lock-in a la Windows and co.)

Some of the other Firefox upgrades have been the same way.  During the
period when it went from .8 to 1.0 it broke a lot of extensions -- like
Spiderzilla (which now works again), and super drag and go.  Most of the
extensions will be updated eventually.