Re: Firefox as default browser under KDE.

  • Subject: Re: Firefox as default browser under KDE.
  • From: Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:53:11 +1000
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [Doug Laidlaw] on Thursday 22 September 2005 06:10 \__
>
>> Netscape is no longer available, and Konqueror, IMO, has limitations.
>>
>> Directions for making Firefox the default browser are given at
>> Mozilla-zine,
>> but something keeps deleting two of the options periodically.  It may be
>> Mandrake-specific, since Kubuntu has no problems (although it does use
>> KDE 3.4, not 3.2.)
>>
>> Any ideas, please?
>>
>> Doug.
>
> I am not too sure what you mean by "something keeps deleting two of the
> options periodically", but regardless:
>
> -Change file association for HTML and the like under Control Center.
>
> -You may be able to choose "Open As", then specifying Firefox and making
> it the default application for the file type.
>
> -For applications such as KMail and KNode, you may have to change the
> browser by entering the path to the application. Look under the options as
> they appear rather independent from the KDE file associations.
>
> You may also find the following helpful:
>
> http://www.schestowitz.com/UseNet/2005/August_2005_2/msg00097.html
>
> Hope it helps,
>
> Roy

Thanks Roy.  You replied to my post in com.windows.x.kde.  Your link is to
that thread.

All that works - so long as it stays that way! Every so often, two things
revert:

(a) the %U after "mozilla-firefox" in the command disappears;
(b) the checking of "Enable Launch Feedback" gets unchecked.

Something must be doing it.  Similarly, any alteration of kmix's settings
reverts to the defaults at the next bootup.  Msec can do this, but I can't
see it altering config files at this level, and my security setting is at
"standard."

Hopefully, the 2006 release will fix it.  Mozilla worked O.K., and it is no
longer available, with Firefox taking its place.  In the meantime I have
done what Windows would expect, and set the WM's browser, Konqueror, as
default.  If my ability to choose is taken away, I might as well use
Windows anyway.  KDE is getting less like an environment and more like an
OS every day.

Doug.
--
Registered Linux User No. 277548. My true email address has hotkey for
myaccess.