Dabs linux PC etc (WAS Re: Dell plans to sell OS-free PCs)

  • Subject: Dabs linux PC etc (WAS Re: Dell plans to sell OS-free PCs)
  • From: ac <"aec$news"@candt.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:24:47 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
__/ [ac] on Friday 23 September 2005 07:12 \__

[...]

As I am running Linux on two Dell machines and all has been rather reliable,
I look forward to OS-free machines. Why does every positive announcement
have to be followed by mocking? Dell paid Redhat 100 million dollars out of
his own pocket. He must have had a motive.

Roy

PS - Alanc, the Dabs machines that I bought had a hard-drive crash after
just 4 days... *frown*... and I am yet again a victim of the notorious Dabs
customer support.

Sympathies. I use the HD (40Gb) for the (suse) os, and immediately put in a 120GB HD also and soon after added 512MB extra ram. So far, apart from an oddity relating to onboard lan enabling, it is fine. I have seen what looks like the same model being sold elsewhere with preinstalled 'doze for 100 uk pounds more.

If the slight trend towards sales of no-OS machines gathers pace, there will be some competition in future. COmpanies will realise that they can offer a low retail price, and escape a lot of (mistaken) OS related problems taking up their support lines.

I note that Dabs are down below a dozen left from the replacement stock of about 50 I think it was.

--
alanc