Re: Roy Schestowitz, Paid Linux Shill ????

  • Subject: Re: Roy Schestowitz, Paid Linux Shill ????
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 09:00:30 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Ray Ingles ] on Friday 31 March 2006 20:22 \__

>>> The University equips its students and staff with a newsserver as means of
>>> communicating with the world and sharing ideas. Why is this bothering you?
>>> I just do this as a hobby. If you don't like my posts, kill me. That's
>>> what the kill file is for.
>>
>>  Flatfish is trying to draw a parallel between yourself and the
>> wintrolls, who are often theorized to be on Microsoft's payroll. Of
>> course, it's been documented that Microsoft has, in the past, used those
>> very tactics; I'm not aware of any such cases documented for any Linux
>> vendor. But apparently there is a thriving practice in similar
>> activities:
>>
>>  http://www.penny-arcade.com/news/show/21589
>>  http://www.penny-arcade.com/2006/02/01
>>
>>  And, of course:
>>
>>  http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/02/10
>>
>>  In any case, I don't think the wintrolls on COLA are on the MS dole,
>> really. Too little benefit for the expense. There are forums where such
>> tactics would have a much better payoff. I suppose it's *possible* that
>> they use this forum as a way to test various FUD approaches, but I've
>> certainly not seen any real evidence for that.
>
> http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/gizmos/2005/11/2_grassroots_an.html
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>|     "Some years back, Microsoft practiced a lot of dirty tricks using
>| online mavens to go into forums and create Web sites extolling the virtues
>| of Windows over OS/2. They were dubbed the Microsoft Munchkins, and it
>| was obvious who they were and what they were up to. But their numbers
>| and energy (and they way they joined forces with nonaligned dummies
>| who liked to pile on) proved too much for IBM marketers, and Windows
>| won the operating-system war through fifth-column tactics"
>|
>|     Mr Dvorak wonders if Microsoft is today using reverse-dirty-tricks
>| to promote the Xbox 360: pay people to create Web sites that slam the
>| gaming computer in order to provoke a barrage of defenders.
> `----

Of course it's going on, all the time, on every forum going, on every
website, newsgroup and everywhere else.  It goes on in spam, it goes on
in 'letters to the editor' and so on.

I've never seen any evidence to suggest that COLA is treated any
differently by these 'marketing' organisations than any other forum, so
I assume that many of the people we have here are shills.

Be open to other people -- they may enrich your dream.