Re: Request for Opinions - Minimum Linux Desktop Hardware Requirements

  • Subject: Re: Request for Opinions - Minimum Linux Desktop Hardware Requirements
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 09:11:33 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ ray ] on Sunday 02 April 2006 06:11 \__

> On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 20:34:58 -0500, rapskat wrote:
>
>> This matter seems to be higlhy debateable for some reason, as many people
>> have various preferences for their own desktop systems.  So what I was
>> wondering was what everyone would think would be the bare minimum hardware
>> specs needed to support their own desktop environments and applications.
>>
>> I guess it needs to be said that I don't mean just enough to load it up in
>> three or four hours ;-)  There has to be some semblance of performance and
>> responsiveness in the system and the ability to effectively run more than
>> one app at a time.
>>
>> I'll kick it off...
>>
>> Linux: 2.6.16
>> Apps:  KDE 3.5.1, amarok, mplayer, pan, OOo, evolution, firefox, k3b,
>> konqueror, etc.
>>
>> Min. Specs
>> CPU:  400 Mhz
>> RAM:  128 Mb
>> HDD:    4 Gb
>>
>> I suppose if you had more RAM, you could probably go with a lower speed
>> CPU.  It wouldn't be a speed daemon by any means, but it'd git'r'dun.
>> Certainly a big difference from the 2Ghz/1G/80G beast I'm running on now.
>>
>> How about you?
>
> I've installed Elive (Debian derivative, uses Enlightenment) on a P166
> with 64MB RAM - it runs quite well - very tolerable. I run Gentoo (stage
> one install) on my mini-itx with KDE and it goes very well.

I have had Mandrake on a machines with merely indentical specs (to that of
Ray). Not very responsive (KDE memory hog), yet tolerable as a second
computer to work on in tandem. I used it to do GIMP jobs every now and then.
Just run the script and come back to it the next minute. That was 3-4 years
ago when the weakest machine at the office ran Linux and the other were
Windows and a Mac.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Play Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
  9:05am  up 24 days 22:48,  10 users,  load average: 0.29, 0.46, 0.57