Re: MS Buys Open Office Org

  • Subject: Re: MS Buys Open Office Org
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 10:58:16 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [ Jerry Stuckle ] on Sunday 02 April 2006 08:33 \__

> MGW wrote:
>> On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 22:00:16 -0500, Jerry Stuckle
>> <jstucklex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> scrawled:

>>>Darn - looks like I'm too late to get it.
>>>
>>>Anyone save a copy?
>>

>> Microsoft Buys OpenOffice.org!
>>
>> For an undisclosed sum reputed to be in the billions, Microsoft's Bill
>> Gates has personally bought the leading open-source desktop project.
>> Saying he "was sick and tired of open-source eating away at his
>> profits," the world's richest man decided to put an end to the
>> nuisance and simply buy OpenOffice.org. It will form part of a growing
>> list of Microsoft acquisitions, including several erstwhile
>> competitors, a considerable number of prominent politicians, and a few
>> small governments.
>>
>> The initially stunned OpenOffice.org community--a happy-go-lucky
>> international band numbering in the hundreds of thousands--later
>> turned to champagne to celebrate their newfound wealth. "Bless Bill!"
>> one happy Torontonian exclaimed, bubbly in hand. "With all this money,
>> I can beat Mark's time in orbit!"
>>
>> Gates has assured all current OpenOffice.org users that their future
>> migration path to Microsoft Office is guaranteed thanks to
>> OpenOffice.org's faultless support of MS Office files formats. Users
>> can further rest assured that the full functionality currently
>> provided by OpenOffice.org 2.0 will be available in MS-Office 2020 -
>> or possibly 2030.
>>

> That's great - thanks for reposting it! :-)

Full list of the hoaxes at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_1%2C_2006

I noticed that there are some prominent ones that had been missed out. I
haven't edited to correct this, but here are a few to add (maybe I did not
check carefully enough):

* Scoble mocks Microsoft Office and moves to head PR at Google

* WordPress TextPattern join forces to become a single, unified CMS.

* Ubuntu's 'masters' (Canonical) forbid forks and derivatives (nUbuntu in
this case) from carrying on. This was an excellent publicity stunt from the
nUbuntu team! While I'm on the subject, lo and behold:

        http://www.nubuntu.org/screenshots.php

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Real E-mail -> Harvest -> Fraud -> Spammers profit
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
 10:55am  up 25 days  0:38,  10 users,  load average: 0.33, 0.74, 0.80