Re: [article] Google increases US search share

__/ [ Paul B ] on Sunday 02 April 2006 10:50 \__

> From : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4857764.stm
>
> More than four out of 10 web searches conducted in the US are now done
> using the Google search engine, figures show.
> Google's share rose to 42% in February, up 6% on the same month in
> 2005, while rival Yahoo saw a 4% drop to 27%, according to tracking
> firm ComScore.
>
> Usage of MSN's search engine fell by 3% to 13% said ComScore, while
> Ask had a 1% rise to 6%.

Ask  have  actually got some decent results. The last time I checked  (via
the  Big.com  front end), they seemed to have been better than  Yahoo  and
MSN.  I haven't check this thoroughly though, so this assessment is impul-
sive.

MSN are terrible in terms of relevance and resistance to 'noise' and noth-
ing comes close to Google, whom I believe rely on clickthroughs (usage) to
refine  their SERP's. In that respect, Google seem unstoppable. They  gain
momentum  with  increased use. It's one more example of this 'trap'  where
high  usage leads to an avalanche of success, which makes it hard for com-
petitors to take the rebound.

Best wishes,

Rot

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: most popular O/S, yet not most widespread
 11:05am  up 25 days  0:48,  10 users,  load average: 1.50, 0.83, 0.76