Re: (News) Desktop Battle Begins

In article <2067232.jXcg344tJC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,

> File -> Save As... -> HTML -> Lo and Behold:
> I rest my case, your honour.

Are you using the option that saves in the document Word formatting
stuff that isn't displayed on the web page, or are you using the option
that only saves displayable elements?

When I use the later, I get documents that only show up with three
errors when I run them through the W3 consortium's validation service.
(No doctype, no type attribute on the style tag, and one non-standard
attribute in the CSS).

OpenOffice 2.0 also omits the type attribute on the style tag.

While not an error for HTML, OpenOffice uses upper-case for all the tag
names and attributes, which is going to be a pain in the ass if you want
to convert to XHTML, which is case-sensitive and uses lower case for
these.

For comparison, I did the same page with Apple Pages.  It generates
XHTML, not HTML, with no errors or warnings.  The style sheet had one
error (they quoted generic font names, which should not be quoted), and
a couple warnings.

--
--Tim Smith