Re: (News) PCMag: Microsoft Set to Attack Linux with Patents?

  • Subject: Re: (News) PCMag: Microsoft Set to Attack Linux with Patents?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 00:20:55 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Kelsey Bjarnason ] on Sunday 02 April 2006 23:03 \__

> [snips]
>
> On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 01:03:48 +0200, Roy Culley wrote:
>
>> I have no doubt MS will resort to using patents against OSS regardless
>> of what Erik the weasel says. It will be a last resort attempt to stop
>> the widespread adoption of OSS. It will also be the biggest mistake
>> they ever make when the likes of IBM hit them with patent infringements.
>
> That makes for an interesting point to ponder.  IBM's already said they're
> not going to go after OSS for the umpteen patents IBM owns.  They didn't
> say anything about, say, MS, last I checked.
>
> If MS starts going after OSS, one wonders just how interesting IBM could
> make things by going after MS for patent violations, or if MS is, in fact,
> using any patented code, etc, from IBM or other Linux-friendly sources.
>
> MS could be digging their own graves with this.

Remember all the BSD stuff that is/was incorporated into Windows? I am not
too  familiar  with  the  legal issues surrounding this,  but  this  could
develop into something very interesting and complex.

Microsoft  will  not  put the cards on the table before  they  ponder  and
assess  the outcome of such a legal battle. IP FUD has been 'in the  wild'
for  quite  some time, yet no explicit threats have been voiced.  So  what
holds  Microsoft back and prevents them from halting the OSS threat  early
on  throughout  its  adoption? Their written FUD campaigns don't  seem  to
touch on legal issues. On the face of it, they are aware it's suicidal and
damaging, not only to PR.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Reversi for Linux/Win32: http://othellomaster.com
 12:15am  up 25 days 13:58,  10 users,  load average: 0.78, 0.67, 0.72