CD distros - was: Trying different distros, and playing with XP

rapskat :
> On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 00:04:08 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>>> Yes, I'd like to have Google Earth and that shiny new Media Centre, but I
>>> can live without them. They were like toys I played with at my
>>> grandmother's home when I was a kid. I loved playing with them there, but
>>> I still went happily home to my own much-loved playthings.
>>

>> What is this obsession with Media Center? MPlayer (and others) with all the
>> needed codecs, as well as AmaroK, deliver the goods just fine.
>
> Better yet, allocate a tiny portion of your drive to a dedicated GeeXboX
> boot partition.  That way when all you want to do is watch a movie or
> listen to some tunes, you don't have to boot an entire fully loaded OS to
> do it.
>
> http://geexbox.org/en/index.html

I'm quite curious as to where the CD distro craze is going to go. It
cant be too tough to create a distro where /home and /usr/local are
symlinks to HD partitions. When I upgrade the box these two dont get
erased (if a format happens), and openoffice/mplayer/whatever just still
work in the new system. It would be easier to just reboot with a new OS
on CD.

--
A real patriot is the fellow who gets a parking ticket and rejoices
that the system works.