Re: People Who Just Can't (or Refuse to) Grip Computing

__/ [ x0054 ] on Monday 03 April 2006 05:45 \__

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>
>> RAVE/RANT
>>
>> Moments ago, I received an E-mail from a colleague, to whom I
>> initially recommended LaTeX as the tool for creating a poster. He
>> ignored my suggestion. Here is his message:
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Attached is my latest poster. Could you bring it over to Washington
>>| with yours? This is the first poster I've had to do and I must admit
>>| that it's been a thoroughly miserable experience! I'm going to use
>>| LaTeX next time!
>> `----
>>
>> Somebody else, who is "Microsoft's favourite client" (victim) wrote
>> the following this morning (in reference to my LaTeX version):
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The difficulty that you are having fitting things in and the
>>| difficulty I am going to have in helping you sort it out are
>>| indicative of how inappropriate LaTex is for this kind of task.  For
>>| a poster one needs a layout tool, where you can control exactly what
>>| happens, rather than something that does the formatting for you.  As
>>| I told you when we started this, most people use PowerPoint or
>>| similar for posters.
>> `----
>>

>> <snip />
>
> Ok, So admittedly I do not know what kind of poster you are talking
> about, but if its a visual prop wouldn't you use OO, or Power Point, or
> GIMP, or Quark, or any other graphical program to do that? LaTeX really
> is not appropriate for designing of a poster or anything of that nature.
> Unless the poster just happens to be all text or something. LaTeX is
> nice for book or manuscript design. But for a poster I would use
> something grafical.
>
>  - Bogdan

The form of the poster is similar to that of textual documents and flow makes
it an apparent case where more advatnages can be taken. Some other tools are
used solely for graphics (the previous poster I worked on with the GIMP; a
4000x6000-pixel bitmap) or slideshows. Having created the poster as though
it was a document ( http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/isbi_2006_poster.pdf ),
I can convert it into a document and even export it as (X)HTML. The file is
broken down in a sensible way, which incorporated semantics.

The 'pixel-perfect' approach is often bound to cause trouble because it is
fragile and non-re-usable. What's more, it depends on a bloated package and
cannot be edited without a graphical engine such as X.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Free 3-D Othello: http://othellomaster.com
 11:00am  up 26 days  0:43,  10 users,  load average: 1.85, 0.99, 0.74