Re: Linux as IES

__/ [ Peter Köhlmann ] on Monday 03 April 2006 08:05 \__

> Mathew P. wrote:

>> On 2006-04-02, Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
>>> __/ [ Riddic ] on Sunday 02 April 2006 16:39 \__

>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/milliped/116393699/
>>
>> Interesting. The website claims that the pictured monitors show
>> a "crash" of the linux OS. Someone will probably correct me
>> but I don't believe that I have ever heard of Linux crashing.
>> Applications and daemons hanging or not responding, certainly,
>> but I have never had the system itself crash, once the boot
>> process has been completed. I have had one kernel panic, but
>> that was during the boot process. I keep my computer turned on 24/7, and
>> have for 2 years +, with the exception of an occasional powerdown
>> for equipment installation and such. As I said, I have never
>> had this happen to me.
>>
>> Another interesting thing about the picture is that if you look
>> closely at the original size, the details don't appear to
>> be indicating any system malfunctions that I could see.
>>

> No, they don't. It is a boot screen
> It is not a crash, but some appliance not responding
> "... dropped request" repeated some times
> So it waited some time and then continued booting

Precisely. Look at the comments in the page and see what others have already
said: it's a boot screen, not a crash.

I have seen some Windows XP automated reboots at airports. They usually occur
at night when very few people hang around to spot it (rather than see
departure/arrival tables). While we are on the subject, Linux would not
require a nightly reboot, unlike Windows XP, which involves weekly patches
and probably leaks memory. My computer at home has been up since last year.
No quirks, no problems.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Prevalence does not imply ideali$M
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
 11:25am  up 26 days  1:08,  10 users,  load average: 1.52, 0.82, 0.76