Re: Adjust global configuration for KDE?

  • Subject: Re: Adjust global configuration for KDE?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 20:57:43 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
__/ [ J.O. Aho ] on Monday 03 April 2006 17:52 \__

> Tristan Miller wrote:
>> Greetings.
>>
>> I've just installed SuSE 10.0 and KDE on a system intended for multi-user
>> use.  Many of the users are novice computer users who will be confused by
>> some of the default settings, such as the virtual desktop applet in the
>> taskbar, and the myriad programs in the K Menu.  I would like to make a
>> default KDE configuration for all new user accounts which will load only a
>> few necessary taskbar applets, and feature icons for some commonly used
>> programs on the desktop.  Can someone tell me how to do this?  I don't
>> want to have to manually configure the KDE settings for each new user
>> account as it is created.
>
> I don't have any good idea how to make, but you could do following to make
> future users to get the simplified settings.
>
> I create a new user, setup the the KDE environment for the users as you
> would like it to be for the new users. Check your ~/.kde so there aren't
> any reference to the user like full paths /home/user
> When this is finished, copy the .kde directory to /etc/skel, next time a
> user is created the settings will be copied to the users home directory.

You  can  copy subsets of ~/.kde as well. That's what I initially  had  in
mind  and  it  is  also a way to restore or replicate  settings  from  one
computer  to  another  (like carseat personalised  modes).  Avoid  sending
application-specific  data  from one user to another, but ensure you  have
one  'model'  account, which is not touched and can always  be  replicated
onto new accounts.

The  path  to  avoid copying is probably: ~/.kde/share/apps.  The  one  of
significance  is  probably ~/.kde/share/config , which contains rc's  like
kwinrc,   but  not  actual  data  files.  This  may  contain  full   paths
(non-relative) when you have elements like history and "last opened".

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    make install -not war
  8:50pm  up 26 days 10:33,  8 users,  load average: 0.16, 0.39, 0.69