Re: "Beyond Compare" software equivalent in linux

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ karthik.balaguru@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Tuesday 04 April 2006 14:17
> \__
>
>> Hi,
>> Is there some software equivalent to "Beyond Compare" available in open
>> source world /
>> Linux .
>>
>> Thx in advance,
>> karthik balaguru
>
> Hi Karthik,
>
> I suggest you look into:
>
> * Subversion (SVN)
>
> * CVS
>
> * the command 'diff' (man diff)
>
> * the command 'rsync' (man rsync)
>
> * more...
>
> On  the  face  of  it,  these  may  appear  like  bare-bone,  command-line
> untilities  to you. Yet, that is only a subset of the wealth of mechanisms
> that  exists  at the lower level of GNU/Linux (remember scriptability  and
> compartmentalisation  for abstraction). If you search sourceforge.net  and
> freshmeat.net,  you  will  find many graphical user interfaces  and  front
> ends. There is a true abundance of them, so I will not hunt for links. Get
> yourself some GUI that serves you in the same way as Beyond Compare.
>
> Best wishes and good luck,
>
> Roy

I agree with what Roy says, though CVS is probably the most used in this
way, spcially as it is a system that fits in with dev sites. If you end up
in team work in Linux developement this is very likely to be the one they
use, though may be wrapped inside a script particular to the project.