Re: [Mews] People Love Internet Explorer

  • Subject: Re: [Mews] People Love Internet Explorer
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 06:58:10 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Wednesday 05 April 2006 23:58 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Sat, 01 Apr 2006 19:18:27 +0100
> <1250616.xsmYrO2sn1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Different people love Internet Explorer for different reasons. Some like
>> | the fact that it allows you to install all sorts of fascinating
>> | software. Some like its stability. Some like the innovative interface.
>> | In fact, these are brilliant reasons to love what is surely one of the
>> | most inspired computing triumphs of the past twenty years.
>> |
>> | The sheer range of programs I now have installed is incredible. All I
>> | need to do is type some random phrases into Google, choose some
>> | appropriate sites, and within minutes I'll have some of the most varied
>> | pieces of code around. Now, that's simply unbeatable - it's free, and I
>> | only have to visit a single site to get programs installed automatically
>> | - the process is so smooth, you don't even notice.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.free-bees.co.uk/articles/iloveie/
>
> Saturday 1st April 2006.  Heh.
>
>      Naturally, this article has yet to touch on the sheer genius of the
>      people behind Internet Explorer: Microsoft. To say they were heroes
>      is not enough - I would call them-
>
>      That's enough of that. Ed.
>
> ObIERant: I'm prototyping AJAX for our QA department.
> My brilliant solution: have it create a table on the fly
> and colorize the cells therein, each cell with a time
> stamp, all using DOM editing.  Guess which browser works
> perfectly, and which browser doesn't.
>
> To its credit IE at least shows the table.  However, the
> colors go AWOL.
>
> Innovative is not the first word coming to mind here...

Things are getting 'worse' when you no longer bother to test your creation
under Internet Explorer. More than you imagine can go AWOL, including the
admin panels of some very fundamental Web-based software. It's amazing how
much power developers are deprived of when they develop and test under/with
IE in tandem. Sometimes, when something with merit is built yet cannot work
in IE, the developer fears and subsequently retracts the changes. Speaking
of 'dennovation'. The hesitance to move forward owing to a monopoly that
discourages steps forward (64-bit architectures spring to mind).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate (Medical Biophysics)
  6:50am  up 43 days 20:33,  7 users,  load average: 0.50, 0.69, 0.83