Re: Novell's Messman: Only 2 Distros Will Survive

  • Subject: Re: Novell's Messman: Only 2 Distros Will Survive
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 12:13:06 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Geico Caveman ] on Wednesday 22 March 2006 17:07 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2152466/novell-predicts-two-unix
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>
>> Its a brave but totally expected statement as he has a horse in the race.
>> Interesting how he discounts a distro that has been beating both of his
>> projected survivors - Ubuntu (code word for everything that is Debian
>> based).
>
> That's exactly the one I had in mind. If I recall correctly, MEPIS moved from
> the Debian codebase to Ubuntu yesterday. Ubuntu is best bar none in
> particular aspects. It is probably less suitable for a complex enterprise,
> which is where Novell do a decent job. Red Hat seem to be strong with
> servers ATM.

He's referring to /suppliers/ not to distributions.  Debian never was a
supplier, it was, and is, a distribution.

I also suspect that he's referring to the corporate small-mid server and
desktop markets, which I can see Novell & Red Hat doing very well in.

For the domestic and academic markets, I can see a huge opportunity for
someone to build up a support network based on something affordable in
the retail and education arena.

I also suspect that there's a need for Government suppliers, but they
could well be the same as the education suppliers.

My only love sprung from my only hate!
Too early seen unknown, and known too late!
		-- William Shakespeare, "Romeo and Juliet"