Re: Nokia 770 falters on real-world chores

  • Subject: Re: Nokia 770 falters on real-world chores
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 07:29:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ rapskat ] on Sunday 30 April 2006 06:39 \__

> On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 22:08:23 -0700, Au79 wrote:
>
>> Seattle Times - United States
>>
>> ... It comes from a company with a long history of innovation in mobile
>> devices. And it runs on the tinkering-friendly, open-source Linux
>> operating system. ...

That article is actually a strong critique of the Nokia 770. I read it a
couple of days ago and thought it conflicted with true facts:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/05/electric_nokia770/index%2Ehtml

,----[ Quote ]
`----

Also see: http://opensource.nokia.com/

<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2002960333_ptreviews29.html>

> Sharp's Zaurus still has it right IMO.  Compact, expandable,
> multiple interfaces, powerful enough to do pretty much anything a full
> sized desktop would do, and open enough to allow you to do it.

They have some fairly good-looking PIM:

http://www.bargainpda.com/assets/sharp/zaurus/6000/SL6000_PIM_day.jpg

http://www.bargainpda.com/assets/sharp/zaurus/6000/SL6000_PIM_year.jpg

That, in fact, is the only reason I cannot (yet) migrate to the Nokia 770.
The last time I checked, there was still no PIM application for Maemo. I
wonder what transformations Palm on the Linux kernel would bring about. I
have been with Palm since 2002.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "World ends in five minutes - please log out"
  7:20am  up 2 days 14:25,  12 users,  load average: 0.14, 0.27, 0.46