Re: Microsoft Broke Antitrust Laws

__/ [ Rex Ballard ] on Friday 28 April 2006 19:51 \__

> [...]
> for his rulings.
>
> Ironically, Judge Jackson did Microsoft a favor by NOT holding a
> prolonged remedy hearing.  It was quite evident that Microsoft's key
> executives were going to further incriminate themselves on the stand.
> Perhaps Judge Jackson didn't want young people to look up to these
> Microsoft executives who claimed to be criminals who were above the
> law, as heros.  It was quite clear at this point, that Microsoft was
> going to attempt to bait the judge into making remarks or taking
> actions which could be used to nullify the entire proceedings.
>
> Judge Jackson knew that his decision to order divistature would
> probably be overruled by the appellate court.  Furthermore, he was
> probably reluctant to actually order such a divestature against the
> wishes of Microsoft's management.  On the other hand, if he had ONLY
> issued a remedy based on the interim restrictions, Microsoft would have
> faught those and might have nullified most of them on appeal.  He
> created a remedy ruling which was very carefully designed to allow the
> appeals court to overturn the divestature order, but at the same time,
> order the remand court to include most, if not all, of the restrictions
> which had been ordered as part of the "Interim Restrictions".
>
> To be absolutely sure that Microsoft could get the divestature order
> overturned, Judge Jackon completed his final drafts, turn them over to
> his clerks for the appropriate "window dressing", and immediately
> scheduled an interview with a reporter in which he went on record and
> called the Microsoft executives a bunch of criminals.
>
> I think that the Appeals Court even understood the nature of Judge
> Jackson's actions, which is why they didn't reccomend any actions
> against the judge.  They overturned one ruling of law, which Judge
> Jackson knew was on shaky ground, which gave the court the ability to
> remand the case to a lower court - but not Judge Jackson's court.
>
> Judge Kollar-Kotelly got the case and pretty much told Microsoft "Give
> the DOJ a settlement they can live with or I will throw the book at
> you".  Bush took divestature off the table immediately (weakening the
> bargaining position completely), then basically gave Microsoft a deal
> which, in effect, tied the Judge's hands behind her back.  Even thought
> Microsoft continues to engage in the exact behavior which both Jackson
> and the Appeals court have ruled to be illegal, the "Compliance
> Committed" and the"Technical Committee" seem to routinely ignore every
> complaint, including direct violations of Judge Kollar-Kotelly's direct
> orders as well as the direct orders of the Appeals court.
>
> Bush has put the foxes in charge of the hen-house, and they seem quite
> happy to let Microsoft continue to engage in criminal acts, including
> the same type of fraud, extortion, blackmail, and obstruction of
> justice that Judge Jackson alluded to in his public interview.

"Let the guys in Redmond continue to innovate", he said (not exact quote).
Why would he mind as long as a stream of money is reaching the US (do
Microsoft pay no dividend, still?) at the expense of the world's remainder?
Ironically, the government become a sort of an accomplice to fraud by
turning a blind eye.

> The EU eventually filed antitrust charges of it's own, and since those
> rulings were first handed down, the leadership of a few different EU
> countries has changed to the opposition party.  Could it be that
> Microsoft has been hand-picking these candidates early in the selection
> process (pre-primaries) and leveraging that influence to control the
> leadership of the United States, the EU, and other opposition forces?
>
> The irony is that Bill Gates promised to do this back in 1984, right
> after the revenues of Microsoft became greater than those of Lotus,
> which had been the world's largest software company by revenues.
>
> I would love to find the transcript of those interviews, and the rather
> substantial thread from usenet.  Unfortunately, in 1984, usenet
> discussions were not considered to be of historical significance, and
> nearly 99.99% of the content was lost.  What is available from Google
> from that period amounts to the personal archives of a handful of
> threads collected, edited, purged, and archived years before Google
> finally got the rights from Walnut Creek.

I thought it was Deja News that held extensive archives prior to the Google
takeover. I am aware that they accumulated CD's to patch their archives
thereafter.

> By 1994, usenet news traffic in critical technical groups exceeded 2
> megabytes/day.  A 300 megabyte disk pack for a Vax 11/780 cost about
> $5,000 and the CDC "washing machine" drive cost nearly $50,000.  The
> tape drive was the size of a refrigerator, and cost another $50,000.  A
> 12 inch reel-to-reel tape cost about $200, and held about 10 megabytes.
>  (Yes, these prices are just based on vague memories from the days when
> I used to price and buy the stuff - 22 years - ago so they could be off
> by as much as 50% either way).
>
> Optical storage such as what we now call CD-ROM and DVD-R were almost
> science-fiction.  Video disks were available, but had to be mastered
> using a photographic "print" process.  It took several years to find
> material which could be reliably etched using low-powered lasar beams
> fed by digital signals directly from a computer, and the first
> practical CD Writers didn't come out until about 10 years later.
>
> Enough rambling.  Back to work.

Excellent post, Rex.