Re: SuSE on a laptop

  • Subject: Re: SuSE on a laptop
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 08:58:21 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Malware Magnet ] on Friday 28 April 2006 07:37 \__

> On 2006-04-28, Jim Moore <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> This thing ROCKS! Installed SuSE 9.2 off of the DVD, took 24 minutes for
>> the default Desktop install. Only other additions were the rest of the
>> games and xchat, then I hooked up and pulled the updates. 12 minutes for
>> those. Only thing I've not done yet is configure a DVD player app, but
>> there's no rush for that.
>>
>> ATI Radeon Mobile graphics: 1400x1050, autodetected, tho I had to force 3D
>> support.
>> Intel AC97 sound: automatic, sounds good
>> Intel LAN: auto, very stable
>> ACPI/S2D: very good, bit slow when it comes to resuming, but it's still
>> quicker than a cold start. Worked both times I've used it so far as well.
>> Lid event doesn't work yet, haveta figure something out for that.
>>
>> Even with only 256MB RAM, this thing still pisses all over the P4m I'm
>> about to wipe Wintendo off of and leave it single-booting Debian.
>
> Please forgive me if this is old news to you... but adding Packman to
> your list of Installation Resources is really helpful when installing
> various applications. There is a How To at the following URL (of
> course you'll want to adjust accordingly for your version of SUSE).
>
> http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/16592.html
>
> HTH and have fun!

Something tells me that SuSE is /probably/ the second most popular
distribution on the laptop, only topped by Ubuntu. Novell are providing
documentation with instructions for a variety of laptops, for those where
manual intervention is needed and somebody else did the 'homework'. Try
searching Novell.com for your laptop model if you ever want to read about
somebody else's experience. Then, of course, there is the Linux on the
Laptop Web site.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: There are five regular polyhedra
  8:50am  up  15:55,  12 users,  load average: 0.28, 0.32, 0.34