Re: [News] Open Source Wins in Education

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 04:09:23 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Open source breaks distance barrier
>
>,----[ Quote ]
>| "For several years I used the proprietary software package WebCT in
>| my teaching," he says.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| "But we started to experience problems around 2001-02, after there was
>| [an upgrade] of the package by the supplier. We began to experience
>| difficulties with some operating platforms and browsers, especially on
>| the older generation of computers. It also started to get rather slow
>| and glitchy.
>|
>| "In an academic environment, what you need is simplicity and reliability,
>| so we started to look elsewhere."
>|
>| Hughes explains that colleagues pointed to Moodle, an open source -- that
>| is, freely available from the web -- package. After testing it for
>| suitability, he switched to Moodle in 2003.
>`----
>
>http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,18926793%5e15306%5e%5enbv%5e15306,00.html

http://www.athabascau.ca/media/index.php?id=132
Athabasca University moves to Moodle
New Learning Management System provides more student-friendly
environment

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE March 31, 2006
Moodle is a software package for producing internet-based courses and
websites. It is open source software, which means that it has no
licensing costs and is available for modification by users and
developers. It offers students easy access to course content and
online resources such as the library, digital reading rooms, and
forums for online discussions between instructors and students.

?Moodle?s great strength is that it provides all the functionality and
features of sophisticated, expensive, learning management systems, but
it has a user-friendly, intuitive interface that requires only a
gentle learning curve,? says Dr. Derek Briton, a member of the Moodle
evaluation committee. ?Also, student reviews of Moodle are exceedingly
positive, and for a University that is student-focused, that is
important.?