Re: [News] Google Promote Firefox, Again

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:45:00 +0100
<3411321.rmJXcvNBta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Wednesday 26 April 2006 16:00 \__
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:22:27 +0100
>> <1308200.JQsJDScN1V@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> http://www.spreadfirefox.com/node/23155
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>
>> Interesting.  I have four different browsers up on Linux.
>> Only true IE6 shows the extra prompt; even Opera
>> masquerading as IE just shows Google.
>>
>> This is going to get ... messy.  Will Microsoft sue Google?
>> (And for what?)
>
> Sue them?!?! Over what? Pointing out some true facts?
> Spreading tidbits which are otherwise hard to install
> in the minds of large audiences?

IIRC Lotus 1-2-3 and Apple got into it over lesser things.
One never knows.  Personally, I hope the judge receiving
such a suit laughs loudly and longly.  (Erm, is "longly"
a word?  Well, never mind...)

> Many sites display prompts and disclaimers that clearly say:
> X, Y, and Z are unsupported browsers that may not render
> pages proprely.

This is not such an announcement...although it can be taken as
a hint.  I'm not sure what to make of it.  A simple disclaimer
such as

"Warning: your browser may not display or function
properly on certain pages because it is not CSS2.1
standards compliant [see http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS]
and not XHTML compliant [see http://www.w3.org/Markup].";

might be sufficient in this case.  Then again, why not?

Oh, and just in case one thinks it couldn't get any
weirder...  the Firefox declaration is now gone.  I'm not
seeing it at all now on my IE6.

Did someone....complain?  Or is this some sort of weird
"cat and mouse stealth" campaign similar to the 1947
weirdness about a "weather balloon"?  Or does it only show
up once per access from an IP (which makes life interesting
for those of us behind corporate firewalls)?

My brain is beginning to hurt again.  I may have to fire up my Kayak
when I get home in Win98 mode.  Bleah.  Still, a quick game of
WoT wouldn't hurt. :-)

> So, it's about time
> more sites took advantage of the whole rich spectrum offered and supported
> by (X)HTML/CSS specifications and declared that IE6 is not supported when
> it's too bug-ridden to cope with the burden. Instead, bug give up on Web
> design niceties or spend a helluva lot of time creating hacks for a
> closed-source browser, which can be hard.

Unless one uses Microsoft FrontPage, which makes it hard for the
standard browsers. :-/

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.