Re: Why Linux + Java

  • Subject: Re: Why Linux + Java
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 02:52:12 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 25 April 2006 16:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, asj
> <kalim1998@xxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on 24 Apr 2006 23:24:27 -0700
> <1145946267.412875.58540@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Why Linux + Java?
>>
>> Linux is the only long-term viable alternative to Windows on the
>> server, while Java...well:
>
> Hardly.  BSD and Solaris are still out there.  Admittedly,
> the way things are going the three will probably merge. :-)

I am inclined to doubt it. Why would Linux ever need BSD or Solaris?

>> 1. Java is the #1 language in Sourceforge, and according to the Tiobe
>> Index, the #1 language in terms of "popularity".
>
> And not quite freeware, though we'll see how Kaffe pans out.  The
> good news: JBoss under Kaffe is starting to wiggle.
>
> http://www.kaffe.org/
>
> Then Java will truly be liberated.  :-)

Am I right to think that JBOSS were acquired by Red Hat around Easter? If so,
this could become interesting. I think that Oracle had an interest in JBOSS
as well. Sorry for any wrong assumptions I might make here. I lost touch
with the news for over a fornight.

>> 2. Open source Java is, bar none, one of the most vibrant communities
>> out there, with  an unmatched diversity in tools like Eclipse,
>> Netbeans, Apache Tomcat, Apache Geronimo, JBOSS, Hibernate, Lucene,
>> Spring, etc, etc....even Redhat snagged its own open source Java app
>> server.
>
> Indeed.
>

>> 3. Java is arguably the most ubiquitous platform at this time. It runs
>> in an estimated 2.5 billion devices: it powers most of the SIM cards in
>> your cellphones as well as the cellphone apps and games themselves, it
>> runs the national health cards of several countries and the security
>> cards of organizations like the US army; cool Java desktop apps like
>> Azureus and QNext (http://qnext.com/) are starting to gain some
>> traction, and java is still unmatched in the enterprise space, powering
>> the businesses of companies from Google to eBay, to 90% of the Fortune
>> 500 companies.
>>
>> 4. Java has been kicking Microsoft in the balls for nearly a decade
>> now. The last several years, Java has easily squashed 2 attempts by
>> Microsoft to get into the smart card market, has overpowered microsoft
>> in the mobile devices arena, and is beating Microsoft in the consumer
>> devices market (DVDs, set-top boxes, etc). For example, Java will be
>> powering the interactivity of the new Blu-ray high-definition DVD
>> players and discs (200 GB discs in future!) from Sony, Samsung,
>> Panasonic, and others that are rolling out this year.
>>
>> As someone once said, the enemy of my enemy, is my friend ;-)

How come I don't like Apple?

> We shall see.  C# is still out there, trying to gain traction (assisted
> by Mono, of all things).  But Java is way ahead.

Also see:

Sun-approved Open Source java making progress
Intel, IBM, SableVM, helping "cleanroom" J2SE

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30688

Roy S. Schestowitz
  2:45am  up 3 days 11:56,  8 users,  load average: 0.90, 0.78, 0.75