Re: [News] US Defense Department Headed for Open Source Software

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 03:27:09 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Defense Department Marches Towards Open Source
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| In a new initiative to spur more use of open source software (OSS) within
>| the US Defense Department, the department's Office of Advanced Systems
>| and Concepts (AS&C) has begun teaming up with Red Hat, Novell, IBM,
>| Hewlett-Packard, Intel, and AMD--along with big systems integrators
>| and "non-traditional" open source companies--to glean insights that will
>| help shorten the learning curve to deployment.
> `----
>
>         http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6289/1/

The way I read that is that they're working with open source providers to
understand the processes that work well with open source, not that they're
going to be using open source themselves.

The problem boils down to the fact that federal law does forbids the US
Government to claim a copyright on software developed using tax dollars.
And without a copyright, you can't enfore an open source license.

That doesn't mean they can't figure out various processes used by open
source to help improve their processes, though.